Numbers Game - Do You Play?

After reading tons and tons of blog posts, weight loss articles and recent twitter time lines, I have noticed that there are many people who associate numbers with weight loss. For instance, first and foremost, the amount the scale says is most times always used as a measurement of ones weight loss success, as it should be. Secondly, calculating ones Body Mass Index (BMI) is another number used to measure weight loss success. Thirdly, the amount of time spent working out or the length one walks/runs a mile(s) is used as well. There are many more values in the form of numbers that one may use to help aid them or help measure success when it comes to weight loss. Don't get me wrong I see the association, but I never really thought of which of the many numbers I would use to help aid me in losing the weight I desire. Since then I have now determined which number values I will follow closely as I complete my journey in losing over 100 pounds and they are:

1. The value seen on the scale - Of course, this is probably the most used measurement any one who is targeting weight loss uses. Now I have promised myself not to get obsessed with the value the scale says or even become obsessed with weighing daily, but I definitely will use it to help measure my weight. Since this Saturday, the scales said I weigh 323.8.

2. BMI - after carefully reading and understanding what BMI represents, I now will use this as a number value to help me along my journey of weight loss. Currently my BMI is 52.1, which is morbid obese.

3. Weight Watchers - following the Weight Watchers plan, I will definitely keep track of my daily points to help me reach my goal.

For now this is as far of a 'Numbers Game' I will play as I do not want to get to overwhelmed. As I get farther down the road in my journey I will revisit the 'Numbers Game' and see what other number value I can add to help aid me in weight loss.

Which 'Number Game' do you play?


...I know it is not truly a numbers game, as it is real life, but for the sake of this post, I will use that title...

2 Response to "Numbers Game - Do You Play?"

  1. ernise says:
    March 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM

    I followed the scale when I initially lost 60 lbs. Then, that was the only number I followed. Now that I'm some years into it, I don't follow the scale nearly as much. Yes, I do weigh weekly (though I'm thinking about changing that), but I'm not as tied to that any more.

    I'm more about leading a healthy lifestyle and being active. So I track my activity - I'm tied to those numbers: how many times I go to the gym, how much water I drink, how many miles I run.

    I guess I'll always be tied to numbers in some form or fashion, and I'm okay with that.

  2. Jess says:
    March 23, 2010 at 2:17 AM

    I'm tied to calories and fat grams, and mileage and amount I can lift and mile times. A lot of numbers. The scale too. And BMI. But for me, it's all part of the process. You can't build a car without all the parts. And for me, the parts to losing weight are all the numbers :)

    - Jess
    http://www.halfofjess.com

Post a Comment